The duchess of Cambridge Kate Middleton arrived at the Queen’s annual Diplomatic Reception in a chauffeur-driven Bentley with her Husband Prince Williams, wearing the dazzling diamond and pearl Cambridge Lover’s Knot tiara, once owned by Princess Diana.
Buckingham Palace was unable to confirm last night whether the tiara had reverted to the Queen on Diana’s death and had now been given to Kate, or whether it was just on loan for the night
The tiara was originally made by Queen Mary in 1914 to her own design from pearls and diamonds already in her family’s possession.
It was a copy of one owned by her grandmother, Princess Augusta of Hesse, who married the first Duke of Cambridge, seventh son of King George III, in 1818.
In her will Queen Mary left the tiara to the Queen who wore it frequently, including at an evening event in 1955.
In 1981 she gave it as a wedding present to Prince William’s mother, Diana, who wore it for the first time at the state opening of parliament that November.
Diana also wore the tiara in 1985 on an official visit to Washington with Prince Charles.