U.S. Military Suspends Members Over Kunduz Hospital Strike

The top American commander in Afghanistan, Gen. John F. Campbell, on Wednesday said that several service members had been suspended from duty after an internal military investigation of the American airstrike on a Doctors Without Borders hospital in Kunduz last month.

General Campbell read a statement announcing the findings of the investigation, which he said concluded that “avoidable human error” was to blame, compounded by technical, mechanical and procedural failures. He said that another contributing factor was that the Special Forces members in Kunduz had been fighting continuously for days and were fatigued.

General Campbell and his staff did not say how many people were being disciplined, or how.

But a senior United States military official, speaking on the condition of anonymity, said that one of those punished was the Army Special Forces commander on the ground in Kunduz during the fighting.

After reading the statement, General Campbell left the briefing room, at his headquarters in Kabul, without taking questions.

Neither the commanding general nor his spokesman made any comment on the repeated assertions of senior Afghan officials that the hospital was being used as a base by the Taliban to attack coalition forces.

Get the new blog app for android here: http://adf.ly/1R2zum

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s