A 20-year-old British holidaymaker, Fern Westland, alleged that she was raped on a beach by a waiter, who later apologised on Facebook.
Fern said she befriended Sabri Demir during her stay in Alanya in Turkey last month. But she says the holiday turned to horror when he dragged her on to a beach and subjected her to a sustained sex attack.
- “I want him off the streets to make sure he can’t target any other women like me.”
Fern said she was left further shaken when Demir messaged her, admitting the attack and even apologising.
- “We had been at a local restaurant called Brothers and had been introduced to the owner’s brother and his friend, who agreed to show my friends and I to a club. “Everything had been fine until Sabri got drunk and started touching me inappropriately.
“I told my friends I wanted to leave the club as I didn’t want to be anywhere near him but he insisted on grabbing a lift home with us.”
Fern said her friend had gone into their hotel opposite the beach when she was attacked.
- “Sabri grabbed me from behind and slammed his hand over my mouth. “I couldn’t breathe and was trying to push him off me but he dragged me along the sand before holding me down and raping me. “I was trying to scream but he just kept telling me to shut up.
“I was terrified and couldn’t breathe, I knew I had to get away from him. I was afraid I was going to die. “Then I managed to get him off me and I ran to my friend in the hotel.”
Fern claimed that hours later, Demir began to send her messages on FB. She said he told her:
- “I’m really sorry. I don’t know why I did that. Please forgive me.”
Fern only felt safe enough to talk to police when she returned to Scotland a week later.
- “I went in to complete shock. I was so afraid of having to fly home alone, I just kept quiet until we returned. Since then, the police have come to see me several times and have taken a statement. “They have taken pictures of my bruises on my body and are going to contact the Turkish authorities.”Fern added: “I want something done about him. I know it happened in a different country and I know it may be a long process.”
Detective Sergeant Calum Lawrie, of Fife’s public protection unit, said:
- “On Thursday, 8 October, we received a report of the serious sexual assault of a 20-year-old woman that took place in Turkey on Friday, 25 September.
“We are conducting initial inquiries and all the information gathered will be provided to the Turkish authorities for them to progress the investigation.”
Lets know what you think by leaving a comment.