A 49-year-old staff nurse at the Royal Oldham Hospital in Manchester was stabbed to death after being repeatedly threatened with knives by her ‘alcoholic transvestite’ husband.

Graham Cleary-Senior allegedly stabbed Frances Cleary-Senior, after she returned home from work to find him drunk.

Which she survived after underwent major surgery at Manchester Royal Infirmary.
But days before she was due to leave hospital she contracted pneumonia and died.

In a police statement, Mrs Cleary-Senior described the prelude to the stabbing.

    “He came towards me waving the knife about, saying he was going to stab me. I replied ‘go on, do it, I’m sick of you threatening me to do it…he then stabbed me with the knife in my chest.”

A 999 call played to the jury captures the aftermath. Mrs Cleary-Senior says ‘my husband’s stabbed me…please help’, before her breathing becomes laboured. As police arrive, a man’s voice can be heard in the background saying: “It’s my fault.”
Mrs Cleary-Senior’s sister, Pauline Ayres, said that after the stabbing her sister told her Mr Cleary-Senior had been ‘very controlling’, adding:

    “Frances was quite a vulnerable person – she believed that nobody cared about her”.

Manchester Crown Court heard that in hospital visits after the stabbing Frances Cleary-Senior told a detective about her marital problems, said to revolve around financial difficulties and her husband’s drinking.
DC Carol Buckley told the court:

    “Six weeks into their marriage she said she found out Graham was an alcoholic and also that he was a transvestite. She turned up home early after her shift and he was dressed in ladies’ clothes that weren’t hers.”

Buckley said the victim told her Mr Cleary-Senior prevented her from seeing her family.
The former merchant seaman had been sacked by a shipping company after he was found ‘unconscious’ through drink.
The jury was also told arguments between the pair were ‘sometimes violent’, that Mrs Cleary-Senior ‘had a black eye once’, and that Mr Cleary-Senior ‘brought a knife out’ six times, on one occasion hitting her on the head with it.

    “I asked why she stayed with him – she said she stayed with him for love”, DC Buckley added.

Cleary-Senior, 56, of Alt Lane, Oldham, denies murder.
The trial continues.